Splash Face
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Splash Face

Don't Forget to Tell Your Friends!!

HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Follow on Twitter: @BorisGolubov
Thank You to All the Members of SplashFace!!!

Mark McGovern makes 18-day trek home to Belcoo

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr007
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Splash Points : 414
SplashFace Reputation : 0

Mark McGovern makes 18-day trek home to Belcoo Empty
PostSubject: Mark McGovern makes 18-day trek home to Belcoo   Mark McGovern makes 18-day trek home to Belcoo I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 am

Mark McGovern Mark McGovern in the back garden he never thought he would reach, after an 18-day trip by land and sea.
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

* GAA coma man's 'miracle' recovery
* 96-week ban for GAA coma incident
* Police probe GAA incident in US

The Fermanagh Gaelic footballer left brain damaged after being attacked on the pitch in San Francisco has returned home.

It took Mark McGovern 18 days to travel home by land and sea because he is not allowed to fly.

He arrived home to Belcoo late on Monday night.

The 23-year-old was left in a coma after an off-the-ball incident during a match in the US in June.

The Fermanagh man had only been in the city five days when he was injured in the game between the Ulster Club and the San Francisco Celts

His family were told he might not live because his injuries were so severe.

However, Mark has made an incredible recovery with the help of doctors and physiotherapists in San Francisco.

The first leg of his 5,000 mile journey was from the west coast to New York by train, then a 10-day boat journey to Southampton.

Next, a long drive to Holyhead and another boat to Dublin and up to Belcoo and home.

Getting home again after so long was a great relief to Mark.

"It's amazing to get through the front gates of the house, to get to the front door and not be assisted by anyone," he said.

"There's no place like home.

"It'll be hard to get my normal life back, obviously, very hard. The only goal I've set is to become a single handicapper playing golf.

"That's my first thought. I know I can't play football anymore so it's given me time to concentrate on golf. It'll be golf every day now - weather depending!"

R4i Card
leather sofas
Back to top Go down

Mark McGovern makes 18-day trek home to Belcoo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Splash Face :: The Social Club :: Games!!!-
Jump to: